Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dialectic Journals (Book 2)


I really have to read the book thoroughly before I type these things up... ah well. I'll finish Book 2 soon, but these things are more important right now. Picture explaining time! The Radiant Sun represents hope, courage and bravery. The Dark represents fear, lost, and malice. When both are together, an Eclipse, it represents the "end of hope" or "beginning of fear". It can also represent "dawn of new courage" after times of fear and cowardliness. Of course, I'm reading all of this off a symbolism book... but it fits into the subject, right?

Chapter 9, page 82 -

"A spasm of the lungs seized Alexandros; his throat constricted, he began to choke. My punch hesitated. A three-foot switch burned my back. "Hit him!" I obeyed; Alexandros dropped to one knee. His lungs had frozen, he was helpless. "Pound him, you whore's son!" a voice shouted from behind me. "Finish him!"

It was Dienekes."

You can hear the hate in his voice. You can hear the fury of that moment. When I read this quote, I held my breath, waiting for it all to finish. Alexandros and Xeones (I finally learned the narrators name...) brawled, a form of "training". Everyone gathered and cheered them to fight until one breath is cold. I couldn't believe it. The agony of the fighters, forced to battle. The blindness of the crowd, watching this "dance of death". Even one of the greatest warriors, Dienekes, urged this meaningless battle towards the end. I couldn't believe it myself. Battles like this happen everyday, its frightening to read it in a book. Its frightening to see two children fight like this.

Chapter 10, page 87 -

"The Spartans are schooled to regard the foe, any foe, as nameless and faceless. In their minds it is the mark of an ill-prepared and amateur army to rely in the moments before battle what they call pseudoandreia, false courage."

When I read this quote, I started thinking about what courage is. Courage is bravery and fearlessness. I wonder, who really has true courage? Even the fiercest warriors coward at the face of death. Every one person muster up false bravery, no matter what situation. Whether if its war, or facing one's fear, I've seen noone with true courage. The Spartans was taught to make every enemy faceless, every foe to be killed just as the last. Face up to them without thought of fear, and fear will not conquer you.

Chapter 11, page 101 -

"'It took no diverner's gift to discern their state of agitation. 'Watch their spearpoints,' Alexandros said, pointing to the massed foe as they jostled and jockeyed into their ranks. 'See them tremble. Even the plumes on their helmets are quaking.'"

Read the above journal for some idea of what I'm about to post about. When I read this, I put down the book and reflected on what life is today and was back then. Even before a great event, now and then, everyone would've been afraid. Even the bravest soilders in time tremble before the next battle. If you know whats going to happen, then you tense up and let fear take you over. Bravery is only something thats in your head, never to be there unless you replace its opposite, fear. Bravery is never there in the first place, you'd muster up everything you have just to try to conquer your fears, only to make too little room for courage. In war, fear would be your greatest enemy. And only that enemy will lead you to your death.

1 comment:

Ms. Charlotte said...

Have you seen Band of Brothers? Capt. Speirs had no fear. It kept him alive.